Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Don't Want to be a Stone Mason

If a career change ever comes on the cards, I have decided I do not wish to become a stone mason.

I am chasing out the walls in the old bedroom and fitting flush mount steel pattresses for the sockets and other electrical fittings. It is a slow and awkward process, with a masonry drill in one hand and a bolster and club hammer in the other. The drill is already blunt. This stone is much harder than you think - not quite granite standard, but certainly harder than bricks. By contrast, the lightweight insulating blocks used for the construction of the inner walls of the extension, are so soft you can scrape out the slots for the pattreses with your finger nails !

So, here is a combo I prepared earlier :


The stonework is very rough, so even choosing where to locate the boxes is quite difficult, as they need to have some solid stone at the fixing points (the mortar is incredibly soft - no use for fixing anything!).

Note that I have managed to find a supply of 20mm grommets, to avoid wire chafing on the entry points. Note also the small bracket that joins the two doubles together. The electrician has used these in the extension - they make sure that the spacing between the two boxes is spot-on for the cover plates. However, I searched on the internet to try and get some and couldn't find a supplier anywhere. In the end I managed to buy two that were lurking in a box at the back of an electrical supply trade counter in Stroud.

3 Comments:

At 7:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't wish to be pedantic (it is my middle name according to Steve) BUT the blog entries......

"I don't want to be a Stone Mason" and
"Plaster Stripped"

have nothing to do with the extension, but to do with the old part of the house, so really it should not be included in this blog.

However Steve, maybe you should start a new blog about doing up an old house............!

What was that you said?!

 
At 12:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must disagree with comment 1 from "anonymous".

Surely the older bit of the house is merely an extension to the, umm, extension......

 
At 9:28 pm, Blogger shadaswell said...

It appears that my readers (well, one of them anyway) are hungry for the blog to cover everything, so I am going to continue documenting non-extension stuff.

Actually, I suspect Chris is just concerned at where we will make him sleep next time he comes to stay !

S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home