Raised and Fielded
Do you know what "Raised and Fielded" means ? Well, until Wednesday neither did I, but now I do.
I am trying to get an internal door for the new bedroom, to match those already in the house. They are fairly simple Victorian pine 4 panel mortice and tenon doors with flat panels, beaded around the edge :
The panels are thicker and are routed to have a shaped edge to them. Not the same at all, though, as my Mum has pointed out, it won't be possible to stand somewhere in the house and see doors of both types.
In fact doors are available with flat panels, though I have so far only seen them on web-sites or in catalogues. None of my local merchants keep any in stock. Their attitude is always that it is a special order, so I have no option other than to buy if they get one in for me. You also have to be careful as sometimes (on the cheaper versions) the panels are ply or MDF. Not so bad if the door is to be painted, but no good for Danish Oiling, as in this case.
My best bet so far seems to be the "Victorian" from the "Redwood" range at STP Joinery (available through my local merchant, or Travis Perkins) - http://www.stpgroup.co.uk/ . In the catalogue this looks really awful and yellow, but I have seen a different door from the same range, and it is very nice. Dare I take the risk of ordering one......... ?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home