Another Peek in the Toolbox
I am known to my friends, family and especially work colleagues, to be a bit of a luddite, so it was no surprise when it came time to shop for a new electric drill, that I attempted to seek out one much the same as that I had before. However, horror of horrors, I find the modern marketplace no longer sells metal bodied drills with keyed chucks !
I have previously been disparaging of the keyless chuck. How could you possibly do it up tight enough, and still be able to get it undone when you are finished ? And where is the great advantage anyway - how hard is it to use a chuck key ?
Anyway, Father Christmas duly delivered a 750 Watt Black & Decker with keyless chuck, and what a shock it has been ! The chuck is fantastic, and I have now realised just how much time I must have wasted saying "where did I put that chuck key ?". It also has an adjustable side handle, which I have also previously eschewed, but I find I no longer hold the drill by the body, with my hand covering up the air intake ! That has to be a good thing.
A similar thing happened to me a few weeks previously when I purchased a cordless drill/screwdriver. The Bosch that I chose has a rather gimicky LED light that shines on the drill bit. However, I am amazed at how useful it has been, especially when putting in plasterboard screws in gloomy corners when you are working in your own shadow. I take it all back ! Maybe my luddite days are over.
Slightly "off topic", but toolbox related, here is a picture of the emergency toolbox in the back of Jan's car :


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home