Friday, December 08, 2006

Clear Out Time Finally Arrived

The weather here today was filthy and the builder has decided that the time has come for a little indoor work. Tomorrow they are going to remove the inner skin of the front wall of our existing lounge. This has to come out as the wall is currently rendered on the outside and is being rebuilt in stone. In order to accommodate the same wall construction method as the rest of the extension, it is easier simply to take the whole thing out and start again.

Now, I realise that I have not updated you on our storage situation. You may remember that we were in the market for buying a container and storing it on site. However, I have to confess that Jan and I were in dispute about whether this was a good idea or not. I won't say which of us was for and which against, though I am sure some of you know. Anyway, as luck would have it, my parents have just sold their house in Devon and are moving to a rented house near here. They have very kindly agreed to store even more of our stuff (they have already had a roomful for 2 years). We have therefore cancelled the container in favour of this solution.

Unfortunately, the timing hasn't quite worked out. Mum and Dad move the middle of next week, and the builders are coming in tomorrow. I have just spent the whole evening clearing out the lounge. All is now boxed up and pushed to the other end of the room. The builder is bringing some protective sheeting to throw over everything.

Whilst speaking to the builder this morning, I did have the opportunity (maybe) to postpone this part of the work. It was tempting, as we have a family of four coming round for dinner on Saturday night. There is another indoor building project that he needs to start soon for another customer, and I could have suggested he do that instead. However, he seems to have a head of steam up, and the will to finish this job. I didn't want to encourage him to start something else in case I couldn't get him back ! Short term pain, long term gain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home