Thursday, May 17, 2007

First Dormer Mullion Goes In

The long awaited extra mullions are now being installed. Here is the first, on the window above the staircase :

It was a tight squeeze inside the wooden frame that was built a few weeks ago, but that should just add to the rigidity of the structure. Personally, I think I would have preferred it if it did not have to fit inside the frame in this way and instead the frame butted up against the back of it. However, I guess this would have left the mullions as a tall free-standing structure as, on this one at least, there is not much of it inside the wall at the lower end. The trouble is we now have to weather proof the timber round the sides with something. Lead or render seem to be the options available (too narrow to tile-hang).

I don't think I have mentioned it yet, but one of the reasons (other than the weather) that the tiling has come to a halt is that they have run short of tile numbers 1 to 5. These are the smaller ones at the top of the roof-slopes. There are plenty of the bigger numbers left, so it looks like the supplier has got the proportions wrong. Today the builder hopes to collect the required tiles from the manufacturer (they are made quite locally), so this job can then continue.

4 Comments:

At 4:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see progress and looking like a proper house! Ref: Electricals item - Suggest from experience don't be too scornful of sockets up high(er) for access -as we age we all bend less flexibly - I know. If you want to stay there till the Grim Reaper then think ahead. No need to be too drastic but every little helps. Cheers J & B (Essex)

 
At 7:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,
More on heating.
I suggest mini/micro bore might be an option to consider along side plastic; I imagine the pipe for these would be supplied in a coil and be 'flexible'.
Steve.

 
At 10:14 pm, Blogger shadaswell said...

Hi J&B. Thanks for the reminder about the Grim Reaper. If I get the electrics wrong he may visit sooner rather than later !
Cheers,
Steve

 
At 10:17 pm, Blogger shadaswell said...

Hi Steve.
Not very keen on the micro-bore stuff. I am sure it would work, but I think it blocks up easily. Also not sure that the heat carrying capacity would be up to the job. We have some big rooms here, so I am anticipating some pretty punchy radiators.
Cheers,
Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home